The Dunlop Tobacco Factory, built in 1888, is one of Petersburg's many 19th-century industrial buildings. In 1892 it employed over 700 people and produced more than two million pounds of tobacco a year. As in the rest of the South, Petersburg's mills and factories were segregated. African-American men, women, and children worked in the tobacco and peanut factories, while their white counterparts worked in the textile mills. The tobacco industry provided jobs for many black laborers until the 1980's when a major employer, the Brown and Williamson Tobacco Company, relocated to Georgia. The Dunlop building is now an apartment complex for the elderly.
No Physical Description Available
Geographical and Contact Information
Corner Old and Market Streets