The Lee County Colored Elementary School was built in 1940 on land donated by Rachel Scott, an African-American barber. The school was the only primary school for blacks in all of southwest Virginia's Lee County. Its legacy is complex: even as it stood as a visible symbol of segregation, it represented education, self-sufficiency, and community.
The one-room school house closed after the 1965-66 school year. In the fall of 1966, Lee County's schools were integrated and the students were bused to Pennington High School.
The school building has become the Appalachian African-American Cultural Center.
Geographical and Contact Information
230 N. Leona Street
Pennington Gap, Virginia