After the Civil War, many blacks settled in Newtown, a small tract of land in Hampton once owned by New York missionary Daniel F. Cook. Cook came to Hampton as an instructor at Hampton Institute. The Little England Chapel was once known as the Ocean Cottage Sunday School, established by George C. Rowe in 1877. Rowe was a printer at Hampton Institute and taught Sunday school classes in his home. The school became so popular that William Armstrong, brother of General Samuel Chapman Armstrong, founder of Hampton Institute, offered to construct a building. Cook offered the use of his land for a day school and Sunday school and construction was completed in 1879. Hampton students taught Sunday school lessons there to the Newtown youth. The building as served as a community center for social activities and the Sunday school continued until the mid-1930's, when the Church of Jesus began to hold regular worship services at the Little England Chapel. The Chapel remained in use until 1989.
This site consists of an historic building with an exhibit on African-American religion. The church was listed on the Virginia Landmarks Register in 1981 and the National Register of Historic Places in 1982.
Geographical and Contact Information
4100 Kecoughtan Road at Ivy Home Road