Historical Significance After the Civil War, a group of African Americans, Native Americans, and people of mixed heritage founded Thoroughfare Community, now part of Broad Run, Virginia. Community members built houses, and in 1885, constructed the…

Historical Significance The present elementary school building stands on the site of the Gloucester Training School, established in 1921 through the efforts of Thomas Calhoun Walker (1862-1953) and others as the first free public secondary school…

Historical Significance The Triangle, also known as The Avenue, was Petersburg's black business center until the 1970's. During the 19th and early 20th centuries, New Market on South Avenue was the marketplace for black and white farmers from…

Historical Significance The Thyne Institute began educating African Americans in Mecklenburg County, Virginia around 1876. J. H. Ashenhurst, the son of a pastor, saw the need for schooling the African American population and began teaching wherever…

Historical Significance The efforts of African American students at Robert Russa Moton High School in Prince Edward County to achieve equal educational opportunities led to the end of legal segregation in the public schools of America. Built to…

Historical Significance Dr. Charles Martin Read came to the United States from Jamaica, British West Indies in 1903. In 1912, Northampton County certified him to practice medicine in Virginia. In 1916, he purchased one acre of land from James and…

Historical Significance In 1910, a Certificate of Incorporation was issued to the Brickhouse Banking Company, whose principal place of business was in the Hare Valley in Northampton County. By law the capital stock of the bank was not to be less…

Historical Significance The first fair on the Eastern Shore developed specifically for an African-American audience was sponsored by the Onawa Social Union and organized in 1891 near Mappsburg Station. The Onawa Social Union was a Freemason's lodge…

Historical Significance The Stubbs School was constructed during the 1930s for African-American children in Spotsylvania County. The school building is typical of many one-room schools built throughout the county, beginning with the establishment of…

Historical Significance The St. Luke and Odd Fellows Hall was built in 1905, and is the only building remaining from New Town, an African-American community in Blacksburg that thrived during the first 60 years of the twentieth century. The…