Howard's Neck Plantation

Historical Significance

Located on the upper James River, the first owner of Howard's Neck Plantation patented 732 acres of land in 1714. The focal point of the plantation is the mansion of a later owner, a Richmond milling industry leader, Edward Cunningham, who purchased the land in 1807. There is a row of three slave cabins on the property. A study of the well-preserved quarters was sponsored by the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation, and the site was added to the Virginia Landmarks Register in 1971 and to the National Register of Historic Places in 1972.

Physical Description

The slave quarters are located at a distance from the main mansion.

Geographical and Contact Information

1m. West of Rt 45, 1 m. North of Pemberton
Pemberton, Virginia