Poplar Lawn was originally purchased in the 1840's by the city of Petersburg for use as a public park. During the Civil War, the site was used as a hospital for black soldiers and a retention camp for black prisoners after the Battle of the Crater. Blacks held Emancipation Day speeches and programs here from January 1866 until the 1870's, when the political climate worsened during the period of Reconstruction.
No Physical Description Available
Geographical and Contact Information
At the intersection of South Sycamore Street (U.S. 301) and East Fillmore Street, on the right when traveling north on South Sycamore Street